Satsang on 23 April 2015
Chapter 7- Courage
Speech at B Z High School, Chithoor-1958
- Swami stressed the importance of Education to students and advised them to study regularly and intelligently as and when they find rather than keeping every thing for the last minute. And the education must be based on Dharma.
- Students should not dread examinations and must take some time to read the complete question paper and answer what they are confident with first before attempting difficult ones and losing confidence.
- Be courageous. Courage is the fertiliser which will make the plan of scholarship grow. One must become bold and courageous and fight against the animal tendencies of fox, ass, dog and wolf inside. One must cultivate good human qualities of love and friendship. We must have the right kind of friends who can be with us for long time. One must develop good virtues which will give the ultimate ‘Ananda’ or bliss and that is the culmination of all learning and essence of all knowledge.
- We must always help everyone. If we can’t help; we must atleast not harm anyone. Let us remove the evil tendencies of jealousy and greed by lighting the love in our hearts. One must be able to bow down to the glorious and the great. Love will teach us that humility. Egoism will not allow us to bend. Let us be human and not animal and work on developing love.
- Just as positive and negative wire produce electricity; Paramathma (Supreme self) and Sadhaka (spiritual aspirant) together in yoga bring illumination. Students must be in company of such holy people and learn from them which will give them courage and joy.
- Always speak the truth. Falsehood prompts one to speak lie after lie which later becomes unmanageable. It is always best and easy to speak the truth.
- “Do not be carried away by talks of equality of men/ women etc. Each have their own talent and strength which will flourish depending on how they use it. Develop your skills, health and character. Never cause harm to either you or others by your foolish or ignorant actions. Honor women and respect the girl students. Never look down upon them. Respect for women is sign of real culture.”
- “Read good books, revere your teachers, respect your elders, develop the spirit of love and service and help anyone in need.”
- “In your daily affairs do not create factions or revel in hatred. See the good in others and faults in yourselves. Revere others as having God installed in them; revere yourself also as God resides in you. Make your heart pure so that He resides in You.”
Chapter 8- Many Roads
Speech given at YMIA, Mylapore, Madras-1958
- “I have only come to spread Love to all. Typhoon of envy and hatred are scattering the clouds of Sathya, Dharma and Nyaya. People feel that Sanathana Dharma will be extinct. The Lord who has laid down the Dharma will not allow Dharma to be destroyed.”
- As long as in any religion or any place sathya, dharma, prema are emphasised, Sanatana dharma will exist. Prema directed towards God will guide us and it will allow to us be part of other fellow beings joys and sorrows. We will not care for temporary gains and losses of the world. Prema directed towards God is called Bhakti and is the easiest path to reach the goal.
- Bhakti has different stages- First stage- Mukhya bhakti where Seva or service to the Lord alone matters and it is its own award; devotee serves with utmost sincerity and devotion to the Lord. Then is Para bhakti where name and form of the Lord is cognised; followed by Gouna bhakti which is colored by the three gunas; the attitude of artha, arthathi, jignyasu and jnani (the afflicted, the pursuer of wordly comfort, a person of self enquiry and the wise- who knows that all is HE)
- For proceeding in bhakti marga no riches, scholarship, ascetic rituals are needed. Only love is needed like in case of Vidura, Gajaraja etc. The grace of Lord is like the ocean. Through our sadhana, japa, dhyana and cultivation of virtues, the grace is converted into clouds of truth and they rain in humanity as prema showers which collect and flow as flood of ananda back again to the ocean of grace.
- When Prema embraces humanity, it is called ‘daya’ or compassion. Quality of sympathy and mot pity should be developed. It makes one happy when others are happy and miserable when others are unhappy.
- Even while doing our daily chores we must sing in joy to the tune of ‘Prema’ meaning do all work with love.
- One must follow 2 main principles in life. “First to develop detachment to things that are temporary and instead attract it towards lasting joys springing inside us. Mind will then become Guru and lead us on, once it has tasted the sweets of Shravana, Manana and Nidhidhyanasa (listening, recapitulating and repeated steady meditaton). Do not proclaim great truths aloud, show by your conduct that you atteach value to them and that you are guided by them. One can secure God by these 2 principles.”
- It is possible to see God dwell in every being. Many roads to Godhead; prema, sathya, seva, daya, namasmarana, adwaita etc; all are right path. Some are difficult and some are easy. Easiest one is to see the Lord in all. He can be seen in every being created by His will.
- We must know our real nature. When we do good or bad deeds, we are actually doing it to ourselves. Bhakti is just not a mere act directed by the attitude of reverence for divinity in all beings. We must watch for the lie that lurks on the tongue, violence that lurks behind the fist and ego that lurks behind the deed. We must restraint that before they grow into habits and settle down as character to warp our destiny.
- Swami says; “I will give you only what you ask for. Ask for Bhakti and Jnana and I shall be happy. Elders should teach children and youth about spiritual sadhana and study which has given them joy and happiness. Youth imitate adults. Pious people should demonstrate and teach that piety is not weakness but strength, it opens a spring of power and that a person of faith can overcome obstacles more easily.”
- No one is Naasthika (atheist), every being exists as a result of His will and in accordance to His plan, so no one is beyond His grace. Everyone has love and truth in him. No life can be lived out of complete defiance of truth. One has to heed and speak truth to someone atleast in order to make life worth living. Now this moment is God’s moment and at that moment when he utters truth or loves or serves or bends he is a theist.
- It is not even bhakti (devotion) that is essential. It is love, truth, virtue, eagerness to progress, to serve, to expand one’s heart, to take in whole of humanity in one’s love, to see all forms of divine consciousness.