Sri Satya Sai Baba (23 November 1926 – 24 April 2011)
Sathya Sai Baba was born to Eswaramma and Peddavenkama Raju Ratnakaram as Sathyanarayana Raju in the village of Puttaparthi, Andhra Pradesh, India was an avatar, god man, spiritual teacher and miracle worker.
On 23 May 1940, at the age of 14, Sathya Sai Baba proclaimed himself to be a reincarnation of Sai Baba of Shirdi. http://www.sathyasai.org/images/babatanp.gif He declared to his parents that he had come to this world with a mission to re-establish the principle of righteousness, to motivate love for God and service to fellow man. Since then, he consistently called on all mankind to Love All, Serve All and has repeatedly asserted that the essence of all scriptures is Help Ever, Hurt Never!
Our conscience is a reflection of the eternal spirit. Sathya Sai Baba told us that our conscience is our master. When we follow our conscience, our thoughts, words, and deeds will be noble and consistent. Spirituality is having the courage and determination to follow our conscience in all things and at all times. In doing so, we recognize that we are all united in God. We are bound together by divine love.
Sathya Sai Baba urged mankind to:
- Believe in God –for there is only ONE GOD for all mankind, though He may be called by many names.
- Follow sincerely their respective religions and live their daily lives in consonance with the teachings of good behavior and morality.
- Respect all other religions –for no religion advocates the negative and lower qualities of man.
- Perform selfless service to the poor, the sick, and the needy without thought of reward or fame.
- Cultivate in their lives the values of truth, divine love, right conduct, peace, and nonviolence and promote these values among all.
- Be patriotic and respect the laws of the country in which they live.
Sathya Sai Baba gave his life, selflessly and magnanimously, to the service of mankind.